Vegetated Swales here are classified as swales not containing constant water flow. Vegetation can be established on the entire cross section of a swale.
Vegetated Swales offer distinct advantages over rock lined swales and concrete:
- Vegetation Filtering-Better Water Quality by filtering through vegetation
- Performance-Long Term performance with less maintenance
- An EPA Best Management Practice for NPDES regulations
- Aesthetics-Much more pleasing to the eye than hard armor
- Ease of Installation-simple to install without the need for large equipment
- Environmentally Responsible-Reduction in Heat Island Effect, Habitat creation, increases infiltration and much more!!
- Considerably less expensive than the rock rip rap or concrete alternative-As much as HALF the cost!!!
In order to design a successful vegetated drainage swale, hydraulic analysis needs to be completed to determine the forces that must be overcome. We have several software programs to determine if un-reinforced vegetation will stand the tests of time, or reinforced vegetation will be required. Contact your local representative to learn more about selecting the proper product to create a successful drainage swale.
Permanent Turf Reinforcement Mats (TRMs)-Permanent TRMs and Composite TRMs provide long-term erosion protection and vegetation establishment assistance while permanently reinforcing vegetation. All ASP permanent protection products—including our Vmax3® Composite Reinforcement Series—enable vegetation to be used in areas where the forces exerted by water and/or wind exceed the shear limits of unreinforced vegetation. Permanent TRMs consist of either 100% synthetic components or of a composite of synthetic and natural materials. These products have been tested and proven to dramatically increase the permissible shear stress of many types of vegetation, up to 14 pounds per square foot—erosion protection equivalent to that of 30-inch rock riprap and concrete.